It lies in the north-western part of Covasna county, in the centre of the intracarpathian basin named after it, 44 kms far from Sfmtu Gheorghe, on the two banks of Baraolt. The regional designation of the area is ,,Tinutul Paduros"'(Erdovidek). It is bordered by the South-Harghita Mountains on north, by the Baraolt Mountain on east and by the Persani Mountains on west. Its railway station is in Augustin (6 kms far from it).
It became a town in 1968 when Covas-na county formed. Administratively it inheres Biborteni (5 kms far from it eastwards), Bodos (5 kms far from Biborteni, Racosul de Sus (7 kms far from Baraolt north-west), CSpeni (7 kms southward) and Miclosoara (10 kms). Finds dated from the Bronze and Iron Ages a. a primitive iron melting furnace were excavated in the course of archaeological researches accomplished on the actual territory of the town.
The remains of the Roman period are known. Here was a Roman street led to the region of Ciuc. In Biborteni we can find the ruins of Tiborcz's early medieval castle while in Racosul de Sus the ruins of queen Reka's castle. The first written mention of Baraolt dates back to 1224 (it appears under the name Borath), it figures in the book of Endre the 2nd. Its 780th anniversary was celebrated this year. Miclosoara was first mentioned in 1211 by the name Castrum Sanct. Nicoli, Biborteni (Byborch)m 1332, Racosul de Sus (Rakus)m 1417, Capeni, the old mining village (Keopeocz) and Bodos (Bodos)\NQ\e attested in 1459. According to a list made in 1567 in Baraolt existed 73 doors. Its title of market-town was given by Bethlen Gabor.